Both decadent and quick to prepare with few ingredients, these peanutty macaroons are sure to be a welcome addition to your holiday baking lineup. Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
Coconut Peanut Macaroons
Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Makes about 36
4 egg whites
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
2¾ cups (675 mL) sweetened coconut, flaked or shredded
1 cup (250 mL) peanuts, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk egg whites with sugar, vanilla and salt until well combined. Stir in coconut and peanuts.
3. Using 2 dessert spoons (as mixture is sticky), gather a heaping tablespoon (about 22 mL) of the mixture. Place on baking sheet and form into a tight mound. Repeat with remaining mixture, stirring mixture in bowl occasionally. Set macaroons about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on baking sheet.
4. Bake 1 sheet at time until tops of cookies are golden brown, about 13 to 15 minutes. If macaroons aren’t perfectly shaped, edges can be trimmed with scissors, if desired.
5. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet. Then remove to a rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.