Tis the season for holiday fun and joyous cheers and kids Christmas crafts are the perfect activity. Make this a fun family time or even a classroom project and keep the little ones entertained while they explore their creative side. With all the holiday shopping, wrapping presents and running around time and money are short for just about everyone. With this in mind we have gathered up some quick, easy and inexpensive Xmas project ideas that your kids will love to make.
There is a fun handprint Xmas tree, a candy cane reindeer and a paper plate Santa card holder. Each of these are made from simple and inexpensive supplies such as paper products, paint and even candy. Add some fun decorations using glitter glue, ribbon and other accessories. Kids of all ages can get in on the fun with these holiday craft ideas. So gather up some supplies, schedule the time and grab the kids and let’s get crafting.
Kids Christmas Craft Idea #1
This one requires no cutting and no gluing but can be a messy project (which kids love). From the smallest to the biggest, all children love to paint their hands and get messy (even us adults get in on the fun sometimes).
- Construction Paper
- Green Paint
- Paint Brush
- Glitter Glue or Stickers
- Lay down some newspaper over your work area as this can get a little messy. Make sure the children are wearing old clothes and not their Sunday best.
- Place a piece of construction paper in front of the child. Use any color except green.
- Have your child completely paint one hand with the green paint. Starting at the top of the paper (which will become the bottom of the tree) have them place their hand with the pinky close to the edge of the paper. Place 3 or 4 more handprints right next to the other until they have reached the other side of the paper. If you want, they can use both hands so that the pinky is always facing the edge on the sides of the tree. You can also just use the one hand and have the thumb facing out on one side of the tree.
- Keep having them press handprints above this first row but make the second row smaller so the tree gets thinner as it gets near the top. The top of the tree should be just one handprint.
- Now let the paint dry. Once the paint is dry they can decorate it with glitter glue, paint or even stickers. You can even have them glue on beads and ribbon.
Kids Christmas Craft Idea #2Candy Cane Reindeer
These cute reindeer will look great hanging on your Xmas tree. On the big day the kids can take these off the tree and enjoy eating the candy cane. So remember to keep the paper wrapped around the candy cane so you can enjoy this later.
- 1 Candy Cane (per reindeer)
- Wiggle Eyes
- Small Red or Brown Pom Pom
- 1 Brown Pipe Cleaners
- Green Paper or Felt
- Holding the candy cane with the curved section facing up and towards you, glue on a pom pom near the end of the curved section. This is his nose.
- Now glue on two wiggle eyes on either side of the candy just above the nose.
- Take a pipe cleaner and bend and shape into antlers. Twist this around the candy cane right at the curve section. Now cut off smaller sections of the pipe cleaner and twist these around the antlers for some points.
- Finish this off by cutting out a bow tie with the green paper and glue this on the straight section where the neck would be.
- To hang this adorable decoration just tie some string in a loop around the antlers. Then use your ornament hangers to place it on your tree.
Kids Christmas Craft Idea #3Santa Card Holder
With so many holiday cards it is hard to find a spot for all of them. This cute Santa card holder will help you find space and make a great addition to your decorations.
- 2 Sturdy Paper Plates
- Red Paint
- Black and Red Marker
- Cotton Balls
- Paint the front of a paper plate red and let it dry.
- Cut the other paper plate in half. Save the other half for another project.
- Once the paint is dry, place the half plate on top of the full plate to where both the bottoms of the plates are facing outward. Glue the rims together the hold in place. Make sure the glue is dry before moving onto the next step.
- With the black marker draw eyes on the half paper plate near the top. With the red marker draw on a mouth.
- Take cotton balls and cover the edges of the half plate for a beard and hair. Glue on a couple cotton balls on the red plate on the top and slightly to one side to make it look like a Santa hat.
- Now glue on some string or yarn on the back to hang on the wall. Now simply fill it up with your holiday greeting cards.
These are just a few of many kids Christmas craft ideas that you can try. Use your creative side and imagination and make these unique and special. You can use them for decorations or give them as gifts. So happy crafting and Happy Holidays.
Author Julie Barros is the creator of Cool Kids Craft Ideas where you will find lots of crafting ideas including more kids Christmas Crafts.